Teams took swabs from high chairs in 30 different restaurants and found that on average the number of bacteria on a high chair - including some which can lead to serious illness - was 147 per square centimetre.Which of course raises the question: If you left a McDonald's Happy Meal on a restaurant high chair for six months, how badly would the Happy Meal decompose?
By comparison the average public toilet seat has just eight per square centimetre. The bacteria found included E-coli. Staph aureus and enterococcus faecalis which can cause upset stomachs - a serious illness for young children.
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.