Friday, October 21, 2011

Basement Fire Doesn't Faze Mathew's Kitchen

Posted By on Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM

click to enlarge IAN FROEB
  • Ian Froeb
A follow-up to last Friday's story about a small fire at the new south-city restaurant Mathew's Kitchen (5625 Hampton Avenue; 314-351-1700).

Owner Mathew Unger says the incident was blown "a little bit out of proportion." As reported, the fire did occur in a dryer. Unger says the dryer is located in the basement of the building. Smoke was the main issue once the fire had been contained.

"It could have been a lot worse," says Unger, noting that the fire happened when the restaurant was closed and unoccupied.

Mathew's Kitchen opened for dinner as usual that night. For more on the new restaurant, see our interview with Unger.

Tags: ,

Best Things to Do In St. Louis


Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

© 2015 Riverfront Times

Website powered by Foundation