Craft beer has boomed over the past few years, and with it, beer-centric events new and old -- attendance at Oktoberfests has ballooned, for example. But in St. Louis, spirited beer-drinking is too established and ingrained the culture to be called just a trend. Here are thirty ("Only thirty?" you might ask) reasons to love drinking in the Gateway City, whether you've been here for only a few weeks or your entire life. --By Riverfront Times Staff
29. Because nothing eradicates the taste of Provel like a few strong belts of whiskey.
28. Because we can drink and smoke indoors -- like civilized folk.
27. Our continued alcoholism keeps our citizens employed by the local breweries, amounting to a form of "civic duty" and a righteous fight against unemployment with every crushed beer can.
26. The zoo is free, leaving enough extra money in your pocket to keep buying beer from one of the many vendors until you are drunk enough to get into an argument with a caged animal.
25. Some nights the best part of about drinking in St. Louis is leaving St. Louis and heading east at 3 a.m. to drink until dawn; first at a casino, then at Pop's. (Provided you take a cab there and back or have a few teetotaling friends.)
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.