This story has been updated. Read the updated post here.
The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a shooting involving students from Clayton High School
Word of the shooting last week fueled chatter among and faculty and spurred phone calls to the school from worried parents, prompting principal Louise Losos
to fire off an all-school voicemail through the school's automated information system on Saturday morning.
"I want to reassure you that your students are safe, and that the safety of our students continues to be our top priority," Losos said in the message to parents. "The fact that this is an ongoing investigation prevents me from providing you with too many details," she added, noting that the students allegedly involved had either been "taken into custody" or were otherwise "accounted for."
The shooting occurred last Monday evening, November 17, within the St. Louis city limits.
Chris Tennill, director of communications at the high school, declines to provide any details about the name, grade or number of students involved. He says a student was hospitalized after the incident.
"Anybody who is a suspect in the investigation has not returned to school, and, I expect, won't be returning for a long time," Tennill tells RFT
Asked if victims had returned to school after the incident, he says, "possibly."
Tennill says Clayton administrators learned of the shooting last Tuesday morning, November 18, from police.
"I could say three or four sentences here that would probably eliminate most people's concerns about this whole situation," he adds. "But the fact that this is a police investigation really puts us in a spot where we can't say as much as we'd like to reassure parents that this was an isolated incident and it's not something that really needs to be cause for future concern."
Check back for more info as we get it.
- Jennifer Silverberg