(The eyes have it! Here are the Top 10 most-read stories online, which were published in 2008 by the
former general manager. Patty Wente was fired less than a month after we published our story. Read "Radio Active"
2. 7-Up vs. Coke
Savvis founder/John Burroughs grad goes off the deep, deep, deep end. Read Part 1, Read Part 2
3. Blood on the Tracks: Is MetroLink a vehicle for crime?
A number of Galleria and Delmar Loop merchants think so. Read "MetroLink"
4. Red Alert: Everything they really don't want you to know about those pesky traffic-light cameras.Two years ago we told you how the City of St. Louis screwed up the bidding process for red-light cameras. Ever heard the expression about the chickens coming home to roost? Read "Red Alert"
5. Kevin Slaten's Head Is About to Explode
The exiled sports-talk-radio host allegedly misled Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan about whether the latter was live on the air. There was nothing alleged about the way Slaten lit into an RFT staff writer -- but in doing so he revealed a not particularly sweet-smelling shovelful about himself. Read "Explode"
6. Alton ConfidentialSuch a scenic little hamlet, tucked away on the Illinois side. Especially when the barmaids raise their skirts! Read "Alton Confidential"
7. Paintless in St. Louis?A local alderwoman wants to crack the whip on graffiti artists. Read "Paintless"
8. OldestProfession 2.0You say "whore," they say "provider." You say "john," they say "hobbyist." A peep beneath the covers of St. Louis' online resource for those who pay to play. Read "OldestProfession 2.0"
9. The It Girls
They're supermodels -- and they go to a high school near you. Read "It Girls"
10. Ghost Boat
Last year four young people disappeared from the Joe Cool off the coast of Cuba, never to be seen again. Two had ties to the St. Louis area. Read "Ghost Boat"
Bonus Zombie Stories That Found New Life Online in 2008
This 2004 profile of the basketball-phenom Hansbrough brothers from Poplar Bluff gets hit every time Tyler sinks one for the UNC Tar Heels -- and then some. But watch out for little brother Ben! Read "Tallboys"
2. On Shaky Ground
On April 18, the St. Louis area shook to the beat of a magnitude 5.4 earthquake -- and folks flocked online to our 1999 exploration of seismic activity. Read "Shaky Ground"
3. Methmaker, Methmaker, Make Me Some Meth
The enduring popularity of Unreal's 2004 suggestions for potential sites for local meth cookeries proves once again that some topics are timeless. Read "Methmaker"
4. Death Cleaners
It's a dirty job -- and somebody's gotta write about it. (We did in 2006.) Read "Death Cleaners"
- Tom Finkel
You say public radio's dull? Not when your general manager is known to strut around the office in miniskirts, halter tops and what one staffer described as a leather dominatrix outfit. Make that