Daily RFT reported
that bettors could begin laying claim to their piece of the $43.65 million in online gambling proceeds that Gary Kaplan
, founder of the now-defunct BETonSPORTS
, has forfeited to the U.S. government. Steve Holtshouser
, the federal prosecutor handling Kaplan's case, says bettors are actually not entitled to the money. Though the government's official notice says "any person...claiming an interest in the forfeited property" may file a petition to recoup his/her dough, neither bettors, nor creditors, nor former employees qualify as having "an interest" in the funds.
(Note to all the former bettors calling the U.S. Attorney's Office: You may be entitled to monies recouped in the liquidation of BETonSPORTS, which is being handled by Vantis, a British company. Call them.)
Holtshauser tells Daily RFT
that Kaplan owned the $43.65 million
handed over to the U.S. by a Swiss bank. Since he has no rightful
ownership in the wake of his guilty plea, guess who stands to benefit?
portion [of the funds] will be shared with [the Isle of] Jersey and
Switzerland, because we couldn't have done this without them," explains
Holtshouser. "They froze the money at our request--or it would have
been long gone. But the biggest beneficiary will be the U.S. taxpayers.
They will get back more than it cost to prosecute this case, and then
Kaplan was the subject of an RFT feature story
in 2007. Last week he pleaded guilty to racketeering and fraud. He will be sentenced in federal court on October 27.
Earlier this week