Update below: Last week, at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, officers in St. Clair county were called to the scene of a traffic crash where nine-year-old Fabian Teson had been hit while riding his bike.
The boy was struck on Lorraine Drive in an unincorporated area of Cahokia -- and the driver was nowhere to be seen when cops arrived. He was rushed to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis in critical condition and two days later died from his injuries.
Meanwhile, the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department has pushed forward with its investigation over the last week, eventually locating the car, a passenger in the vehicle and then on Wednesday, the suspect driver. Kevin Powell, seventeen, is now facing a string of charges, including reckless homicide. He did not have a valid license, police say.
"Members of the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department pursed this investigation from the minute it began to this very conclusion, totaling 8 days and countless hours. We were determined to be the voice and seekers of justice for Fabian," Sheriff Richard Watson says in a statement.
Police say that on Sunday the department received a tip that the vehicle, a Silver 2011 Pontiac Grand Am, was parked in the city. The following day they found the car and located the registered owner, who was not the driver in the crash, it seems.
Two days later, they apprehended Powell at an address in Washington Park.
St. Clair County State's Attorney Brendan Kelly charged Powell with:
Reckless Homicide (class 3 felony), Failure to Report an Accident Involving Death (class 1 felony), Obstruction of Justice - destruction of Evidence (class 4 felony), Driving without a Valid Driver's License, 2 counts of Failure to Reduce Speed to Avoid an Accident and Operating an Uninsured Motor Vehicle.
Bond is set at $100,000.
According to an online obituary for Teson, the boy was born on August 20, 2003 in St. Louis and was a student at Buder Elementary School. He leaves behind his mother, three brothers, a grandfather, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends, the obituary says.
Here is KSDK (Channel 5)'s heartbreaking interview with his mother.
And here's the full timeline press release from the sheriff's department:
• On Thursday, July 11, 2013 at approximately 12:30 p.m., members of the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department Patrol Division and Investigation Section were called to the scene of a traffic crash involving a 9 year old child by the name of Fabian Teson.
• Fabian was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in the 2400 block of Lorraine Dr. in the unincorporated area of Cahokia. Neither the driver, nor the vehicle involved remained at the scene.
• Fabian was transported to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri and was listed in critical condition.
• The St. Clair County Sheriff's Department Investigation Section immediately began the investigation.
• Due to his injuries, Fabian lost his life on Saturday, July 13, 2013.
• On Sunday, July 14, 2013 the Sheriff's Department received information that the suspect vehicle (Silver 2001 Pontiac Grand Am) was parked in St. Louis City, Missouri.
• On Monday, July 15, 2013, Investigators located and seized the suspect vehicle. The registered owner of the vehicle was also located.
• During the early morning hours, on Wednesday, July 17, 2013, a passenger inside the suspect vehicle at the time of the traffic crash was identified and located.
• On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 the suspect, Kevin Powell was apprehended at an address in Washington Park, Illinois.
• St. Clair County State's Attorney Brendan Kelly's office charged Kevin Powell with Reckless Homicide (class 3 felony), Failure to Report an Accident Involving Death (class 1 felony), Obstruction of Justice - destruction of Evidence (class 4 felony), Driving without a Valid Driver's License, 2 counts of Failure to Reduce Speed to Avoid an Accident and Operating an Uninsured Motor Vehicle. St. Clair County Judge S. Rice set bond at $100,000.00.
• St. Clair County Sheriff's Department members assisting the Investigation Section included the department's:
• Patrol Division • Drug Tactical Unit • Street Crime Unit • ISP Crime Scene Unit • U. S. Marshal Service
"Members of the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department pursed this investigation from the minute it began to this very conclusion, totaling 8 days and countless hours. We were determined to be the voice and seekers of justice for Fabian!" -- Sheriff Richard Watson
Update, 2:40 p.m.: The sheriff's department announced this afternoon that they have made two more arrests in the fatal hit-and-run. Devan Harris, a seventeen-year-old Cahokia resident, has been charged with two counts of obstruction of justice. His bond is set at $20,000. Here's his mugshot:
And Alysa Sherwood, a 25-year-old Washington Park resident, has been charged with two counts of obstructing justice, permitting an unauthorized person to drive and renting a motor vehicle to an unauthorized driver. Her bond was set at $30,000. Here's her mug:
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.