It's a common myth around St. Louis that Anheuser Busch was the sole brewery in St. Louis to survive Prohibition and the only locally brewed beer from 1933 until the opening of Schlafly in 1991. In reality, A-B was the only brewing game in town for less than two decades. Before that, the Falstaff Brewing Company competed in its ultimately unsuccessful battle to dominate the beer market in St. Louis.
The story of Falstaff has roots as old as the history of brewing in St. Louis. Originally introduced by the Lemp Brewery, Falstaff Beer was just one of several different brands offered by the largest brewery in St. Louis prior to Prohibition. The Lemps chose the Shakespearean character for the name of their new beer due to Sir John Falstaff's reputation as a jolly, fun-loving knight. When the Lemp Brewery closed, William J. Lemp Jr. sold the Falstaff brand to his friend and fellow brewer, Joe Griesedieck in 1920; it would be one of the last business decisions Lemp would make before committing suicidein the family's mansion in 1922.
Following the end of Prohibition, the Griesedieck family began to expand their new Falstaff Brewing Company aggressively, competing with Anheuser-Busch Brewery in the decades of the mid-twentieth century. While Anheuser-Busch focused on expanding and improving its brewery on Pestalozzi Street as well as opening new breweries around the United States, the Griesediecks' strategy focused on purchasing defunct breweries around St. Louis and the nation.
The strategy failed. The older, small breweries Falstaff purchased decentralized production, cost valuable money to retrofit and maintain, and ultimately proved too inefficient to compete with Anheuser-Busch. The four plants in St. Louis, out a total of ten plants in the Falstaff Company, closed one by one, the last in 1977. Over the years, they have found new life, or continue to sit empty.
Plant No. 1 (Old Forest Park Brewery)
The first plant acquired by the Griesediecks was a small, defunct brewery just west of Grand on Forest Park Avenue. A relatively small brewery, it later functioned as a bottling plant for larger Falstaff breweries in St. Louis. Today, beer has returned to the long abandoned brewery building; Six Row Brewing Company occupies the former office building of the plant.
Plant No. 2 (Old Otto Stieffel Brewery)
Otto Stieffel's brewery, at the corner of Minnesota and Gravois, closed at the beginning of Prohibition. Stieffel would later commit suicide, despondent over the closure of his business. Plant No. 2, as Falstaff rechristened the brewery, quickly picked up the increased demand straining Plant No. 1. Falstaff eventually closed the plant, and the central core of the brewery was demolished. However, the original office building and the stock house remain; the latter now houses a cat sanctuary.
Continue to explore the Falstaff world on the next page
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.