Perhaps it is appropriate that Search Parties' debut EP, the seven-track Strange Woman / Soul Revival, has a title more befitting a lost Doors single than pensive but forceful indie rock. Early in the album, the band uses some of the language of rhythm & blues-influenced rock & roll -- snaking guita ... More >>
Today is a big day for Scarlet Tanager. The indie pop group performs tonight at Off Broadway, both celebrating the release of its latest album, Let's Love, and sending two of its members (Josh and Jordan Shepherd, guitarist and keyboardist) off to begin the long journey that is parenthood. "Bittersw ... More >>
Round one of Coachella is over and damn, was it a good one! We're all sore, sunburned and smiling. Here's the best of what we saw during another memorable weekend in Indio.
Some facts as I know them at deadline: Two are dead and dozens are injured after a high speed chase along Red River Street. in downtown Austin, Texas last night. After being pulled over by police for a suspected DWI, the vehicle sped off against traffic, crashed through a barricade and plowed throug ... More >>
Before we begin, let us clarify that "shitty" and "bad" are not the same. Bad-sounding records aim for a certain result and fall short. Shitty-sounding records result from conscious decisions consciously executed. Here are the six best shitty-sounding records. If your favorite entry is missing from ... More >>
The law of unintended consequences is far-reaching. It's easy to see how it applies to things like medication, the environment, and Prohibition, but it also applies to the advances in the computerization of music over the past decade. The proliferation of the use of streaming services such as Spotif ... More >>
The man in the chicken hat is hoping things get weird inside. He smokes a cigarette, flicks it to the ground, then changes his mind and smokes the rest of it while standing in front of the Tivoli Theatre in Delmar. He's already holding a ticket, but at the advertised 7 p.m. show time, nearly 100 hop ... More >>
While reflecting on the difference between what he thinks his latest album is about and what his audience thinks it's about -- namely, all the surprisingly wrong perceptions -- Alex Scally references the Bible. "It's the tower of Babel and all that," he says. "Humans can't understand each other." B ... More >>
9 p.m. Friday, May 11. Duck Room at Blueberry Hill, 6504 Delmar Boulevard, University City.
Thursday, March 15, 2012 1 p.m. SXSW is time machine, not always dialed towards the future. Though the clubs change names every season, the gimmicks get more and more outrageous -- witness the skyscraper-sized vending machine stocked with minivan-sized bags of chemically-enhanced corn chips whose n ... More >>
Nolan ConwayVivian Girls with Black Lips Vintage Vinyl/The Firebird Thursday, April 21 Live music patrons of St. Louis, you had a choice last night: You could have gone to see Arcade Fire and The National play Scottrade Center (and if my Twitter feed is any indication, most people I know did ... More >>
9 p.m. Friday, March 25. The Firebird, 2706 Olive Street.
image viaMatt and Kim bring their spastic hyperactivity back to St. Louis on June 23 at The Pageant. 2720 Cherokee *MathGames, March 18 *This Must Be The Band, March 11 *Zoogma, March 12 Chaifetz Arena *Charlie Wilson, May 6
image viaS. Carey, classically-trained percussionist for Bon Iver, just finished road testing his debut album, All We Grow, on his first headlining tour with Yann Tiersen. Catch him at Off Broadway April 4. 2720 Cherokee *Great American Taxi, March 4 BB's Jazz Blues and Soups *Bart Walker B ... More >>
We here in St. Louis are lucky to get spillover from a few of the summer festivals. The first of these, Bonnaroo, just announced its 2011 lineup -- and there are some tantalizing wishlist potentials in the list. The biggies are Eminem, Arcade Fire, Widespread Panic, The Black Keys, Buffalo Sp ... More >>
* = local, = coming to town Vintage Vinyl 1. T.I.---No Mercy 2. KANYE WEST---My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 3. CHARLIE WILSON---Just Charlie 4. ERIC BENET---Lost In Time* 5. QUINCY JONES---Q: Soul Bossa Nostra 6. NICKI MINAJ---Pink Friday 7. TEMPTATIONS---Give Love At Christmas 8. ANGEL ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. LIL WAYNE---I Am Not A Human Being 2. ELTON JOHN & LEON RUSSELL---Union 3. SUFJAN STEVENS---Age Of Adz 4. BELLE & SEBASTIAN---Write About Love 5. KINGS OF LEON---Come Around Sundown 6. JOHN LEGEND & THE ROOTS---Wake Up! 7. AVETT BROTHERS---Vol. 3 ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1 Belle & Sebastian - Write About Love 2. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest 3. Of Montreal - False Priest* 4. John Legend/Roots Wake Up! 5. Neil Young - Le Noise 6. Old 97's - The Grand Theatre 7. Eric Clapton - Clapton 8. Fistful Of Mercy - As I Cal ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. ROBERT PLANT---Band Of Joy 2. WEEZER---Hurley 3. ALOHA MI'SHO---Badd 4. GRINDERMAN---Grinderman 2 5. LINKIN PARK---Thousand Suns 6. LUDO---Prepare The Preparations* 7. JJ GREY & MOFRO---Georgia Warhorse* 8. ARCADE FIRE---Suburbs 9. WALKMEN---Li ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. JJ Grey & Mofro - Georgia Warhorse* 2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 3. Eels - Tomorrow Morning 4. Black Crowes - Croweology 5. Black Keys - Brothers 6. Best Coast - Crazy For You* 7. Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard 8. Jimmie Vaughan - Plays Blue ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. COHEED & CAMBRIA---Year Of The Black Rainbow* 2. THE FORCE---Everybody Wins 3. KEM---Intimacy* 4. BLACK CROWES---Croweology* 5. SLEIGH BELLS---Treats 6. ESPARANZA SPALDING---Chamber Music Society 7. JOHN MELLENCAMP---No Better Than This 8. METRI ... More >>
Robyn GrimesBefore the encore, Adam Turla, singer and guitarist for Murder by Death, predicted fame for the band in another 40 years, at roughly the same rate as Bo Diddley. It's just that sort of humbled reckoning that kept the crowd rowdy and the room toasty at Off Broadway, where the band ... More >>
Hating on South By Southwest is too easy. Just look around: Shit-faced lawyers waxing bizness gobbledygook to shit-faced salesmen of exercise bikes, members of psych-metal bands (probably called Red Octopus or Purple Cobra) barely remaining vertical for all their unbathed rock studiousness, the endl ... More >>
9 p.m. Tuesday, March 31. The Billiken Club, in the Busch Student Center on the campus of Saint Louis University, 20 North Grand Boulevard.
What: Cafe Metropolis Location: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania Date: 06.14.08 Other Bands: The Marquees The promises of a bountiful breakfast were fulfilled, as we awoke to French toast, seasoned potatoes, and made-to-order omelettes, which were all delicious. We hung around the house for awhile, catc ... More >>
8 p.m. Wednesday, March 19 . Off Broadway, 3509 Lemp Avenue
9 p.m. Monday, March 17. The Bluebird, 2706 Olive Street.
We find out what rocked across the country in 2007.
Two of the Lou's famous rockers fill us in on their favorites of 2007 — and what the next year holds.
The Skeletons reunite, we gift some of St. Louis' best bands and remember Ike Turner.
7 p.m. Friday, December 7. Creepy Crawl, 3524 Washington Boulevard.
9 p.m. Saturday, March 24. The Billiken Club at Saint Louis University (20 North Grand Boulevard).
8 p.m. Sunday, March 11. Blueberry Hill's Duck Room (6504 Delmar Boulevard, University City).
Return to the Sea (Equator)
What will the beloved bands of '05 look like when the buzz wears off?