Earlier, you helped us select our ten favorite concert photographers in St. Louis. We got well over 100 nominations, after which our panel of judges narrowed the field to just ten folks. In the coming weeks, we'll be introducing you to each of the finalists and having them share some of their favori ... More >>
Are ravers the modern day hippies? There are plenty of parallels, from the flower imagery to the PLUR mentality. Then, of course, there's the idea of using drugs as a path to enlightenment. (Or at least, amazing vibes.) But when it comes to drugs there's a key difference: The hippies were ... More >>
Chance the Rapper The Pageant December 9, 2013 Before anything else, before even entering the venue, there was Chance the Rapper's large, matte black tour bus with the title of his album, Acid Rap, written across the side and front in rainbow, tie-dye lettering. How could his tour bus not attract c ... More >>
Editor: Tef Poe is an artist from St. Louis city. Through powerful imagery and complicated honesty, he has earned a reputation as one of the best rappers telling the story of St. Louis, which is about much more than one place. Poe has been featured in music publications such as XXL and Urb Magazine. ... More >>
This year's Best Of St. Louis issue has hit the streets, and as in the past, we chose a winner for best solo hip-hop artist of 2013. But there's more than just one rapper worth your time, and many of them were winners in previous years. So here's our top ten-ish (OK, thirteen; we kept thinking of mo ... More >>
Getting your celebrity gossip from TMZ is soooooo 2009, dude. Each Thursday in "Twitter Litter," RFT Music rounds up the week's best meltdowns, ego battles and WTFness from rockers, rappers and DJs who aren't afraid of a little hashtag action. It's time to take out the trash. Hey, remember when Mad ... More >>
Lil Wayne has just released his tenth studio album, I Am Not a Human Being II. It's been eighteen years since his first album: True Story as one half of The B.G.'z. In that time, he's been a lesser-known member of an embattled Southern hip-hop group, a scrawny kid, a mixtape hero, the greatest rappe ... More >>
For most musicians, it can take a village to create everything that goes into a strong career, but most musicians aren't rapper G-Eazy. Early into his career, the young Bay Area native has criss-crossed the country on tour multiple times, shared the stage with such industry heavyweights as Drake and ... More >>
Mystikal has been getting a lot of attention for an interview he did with Rolling Stone recently. In said interview, he mentions that lately he's been listening to James Brown, Sam Cooke, Master P, Ludacris, and Eddie Murphy lately, and is in the midst of working on a new album (recent singles seem ... More >>
Noted R&B heartthrob Trey Songz will be at the Fox this Sunday, but the show will absolutely not be worth killing a person and then yourself over. I just wanted to make that clear from the get-go since I suppose there has been some very heartbreaking confusion lately. Just to be clear, again: Trey ... More >>
Tonight, Chicago good-time master the Hood Internet will be at the Gramophone. Tickets are $15 at the door and the show starts at 10 p.m. Do some weird shots beforehand.
The 2012 VMA nominees are out, and while there are certainly plenty of big names and obvious choices, there are a few surprises buried in there. Frank Ocean gets a nod, as do A$AP Rocky, Jack White and Regina Spektor. But those are curiosities -- Rihanna, Drake, Katy Perry et. al. get the lion's sha ... More >>
Editor: Tef Poe is an artist from St. Louis City. Through powerful imagery and complicated honesty, he has earned a reputation as one of the best rappers telling the story of St. Louis, which is about much more than one place. Poe has been featured in music publications such as XXL and Urb Magazine. ... More >>
8 p.m. Saturday, April 21. The Firebird, 2706 Olive Street.
Of the many places you could end your Record Store Day, no where promises the caliber of dance party you can expect at the Firebird for the Hood Internet, presented by Knuckle Rumbler. To win tickets: Tell us in the comments below what your favorite fusion food dish is. Because of the mash-ups, you ... More >>
Ok folks, this week is insane -- the number of excellent shows that did not make the cut for this post could easily fill another, if not for the nagging reality that time is finite. We don't want to short-change you though, so here's the runner-up rundown: Crowbar at Fubar on Monday, Cursive at Off ... More >>
If you're familiar with chaos theory, which in its basic form is the attempt to find patterns in the random acts of shit on Earth, then you may understand the difficulty that comes with describing a full day at SXSW. To break down the bright, scintillating chaos, Village Voice Media's roving music e ... More >>
Todd Owyoung Lil Wayne/Nicki Minaj/Rick Ross/Travis Barker/Mix Master Mike The Pageant April 10, 2011 Better Than: Whatever the hell else went on last night. They came in jacked-up ghetto cruisers and sensible Hondas; they came in glute-hugging tube dresses, crisp white T's and homemade sh ... More >>
Jon GitchoffDrake in June 2010 at Super Jam 3.Anxious fans swarmed into the Fabulous Fox last night to watch Canadian rapper Drake perform in support of his platinum-selling debut, Thank Me Later. The majority of his fan base appears to be in the coveted 18-to-25 age demo, but teenagers, coll ... More >>
7:30 p.m. Tuesday, October 12. The Fox Theatre, 527 North Grand Boulevard.
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. ROBERT PLANT---Band Of Joy 2. WEEZER---Hurley 3. ALOHA MI'SHO---Badd 4. GRINDERMAN---Grinderman 2 5. LINKIN PARK---Thousand Suns 6. LUDO---Prepare The Preparations* 7. JJ GREY & MOFRO---Georgia Warhorse* 8. ARCADE FIRE---Suburbs 9. WALKMEN---Li ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. JJ Grey & Mofro - Georgia Warhorse* 2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 3. Eels - Tomorrow Morning 4. Black Crowes - Croweology 5. Black Keys - Brothers 6. Best Coast - Crazy For You* 7. Ra Ra Riot - The Orchard 8. Jimmie Vaughan - Plays Blue ... More >>
8 p.m. Friday, Aug. 20. Fox Theatre, 527 North Grand Boulevard.
As we reported yesterday, St. Louis hip-hop icon Nelly has accepted a new gig as drive-time host at Hot 104.1 FM. No word on how long this stint will last, but the St. Lunatic is already two hours into his first shift. We thought we'd listen in and see how Nelly rocks the mic in a different way.4:4 ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. ARCADE FIRE---Suburbs 2. BLACK CROWES---Croweology* 3. RICK ROSS---Teflon Don 4. EMINEM---Recovery 5. BUN B---Trill O.G. 6. GOV'T MULE---Mulennium 7. LOS LOBOS---Tin Can Rust 8. MENOMENA---Mines* 9. ROOTS---How I Got Over 10. DRAKE---Thank Me Lat ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. Best Coast - Crazy For You* 2. Black Keys - Brothers 3. Devo - Something For Everybody 4. Menomena - Mines* 5. Alejandro Escovedo - Street Songs Of Love* 6. Mark Olson - Many Colored Kite* 7. Tom Petty - Mojo 8. Robert Randolph - We Walk ... More >>
= local, * = coming to town Rick Ross is the Teflon DonVintage Vinyl 1. Rick Ross -- Teflon Don 2. The Roots -- How I Got Over 3. M.I.A. -- Maya 4. Eminem -- Recovery 5. Curren$y -- Pilot Talk 6. Black Keys -- Brothers 7. Trip Daddys -- Roll On! 8. Kentucky Knife Fight -- We're All Namele ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. M.I.A. - Maya 2. Tom Petty - Mojo 3. Derek Trucks Band - Roadsongs 4. Black Keys - Brothers 5. Devo - Something For Everybody 6. Wolf Parade - Expo 86 7. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. 8. Steve Miller Band - Bingo 9. ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Robert Randolph and the Family Band will play the Pageant Friday, July 16Vintage Vinyl 1. Big Boi -- Sir Lucious Left Foot. The Son Of Chico Dusty 2. Roots -- How I Got Over 3. Eminem -- Recovery 4. Drake -- Thank Me Later 5. Black Keys -- Brothers 6. Ratatat -- ... More >>
= local, * = coming to town Wolf Parade's latest album, Expo 86 Euclid Records 1. Wolf Parade -- Expo 86 2. Black Keys -- Brothers 3. Rolling Stones -- Exile on Main St. 4. Robert Randolph & the Family Band -- We Walk This Road 5. Band of Horses -- Infinite Arms 6. ... More >>
= local, * = coming to town Euclid Records 1. Black Keys - Brothers 2. Tom Petty - Mojo* 3. Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic 4. Robert Randolph And The Family Band - We Walk This Road 5. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. 6. Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows - Songs Of ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local act Gaslight Anthem's American SlangVintage Vinyl 1. Drake---Thank Me Later 2. Nas & Damian Marley---Distant Relatives 3. Black Keys---Brothers 4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers---Mojo* 5. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals---Grace Potter & The Nocturnals 6. Gaslight A ... More >>
(New albums are typically released on Tuesdays, i.e., today. What can you spend your hard-earned pennies on this week? Find out below.) amazon.comCowboy Junkies' latest release, Renmin Park, is part one of a three-part series. *Cowboy Junkies, The Nomad Series Volume 1: Renmin Park In the ... More >>
5 p.m. Saturday, June 12. Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 14141 Riverport Drive, Maryland Heights.
This morning, Vandalyzm dropped Vandalyzm Is Not the Father, a new mixtape. Produced by DJ Trackstar, this release should tide over his fans until his new full-length drops on the New York-based label Soulspazm. Van talked to A to Z about his forthcoming label debut, the reissue of Megatron M ... More >>
Who says the record store is dead? Not us here in St. Louis, where both Vintage Vinyl and Euclid Records sold a lot of tunes. Below, please find the top selling albums from both stores, including a separate top vinyl list from VV. Enjoy! Vintage Vinyl: Top CDs 1. Murphy Lee - You See Me 2. ... More >>
Every Monday, A to Z publishes the best-selling releases from area independent record stores from the preceding week. An asterisk after an album name indicates that the act is coming to town. And so without further ado: Apop Records 1 Lightning Bolt: Earthly Delights 2 Leonard Cohen: Live Songs ... More >>