We hope you enjoyed that extra day of rest as much as we did. Besides, you're going to need it if you intend on spending an entire day basking in local sounds with us this weekend. The RFT Music Showcase 2013 is this Saturday -- get the exhaustive coverage of all the nominees and come see 50 of the ... More >>
Many EDM fans are suffering from post-Coachella hangover. Not to fear, warmer weather is bringing more and more festivals. This month, St. Louis has a wide array of genre within EDM represented, so lets drop in and see what's in store.
Welcome to Girl Walks Into a Bar, a weekly Gut Check feature that spotlights local bars and bartenders. This week, Jaime Lees profiles Joel Burton of Taste. Below is a Q&A with Burton, followed by the recipe for the Jack Rose.Inspired by a suggestion from last week's featured bartender Laura Therina ... More >>
Last week, Kieran Hebden from Four Tet announced a new single entitled "The Track I've Been Playing That People Keep Asking About and That Joy Used in His RA Mix and Daphni Played on Boiler Room." It's an okay track with an awful title, but you have to give Hebden props for taking the plunge. Here a ... More >>
Art and life co-habitate, informing, imitating, and enriching each other constantly. Each week in Better Living Through Music, RFT Music writer Ryan Wasoba explores this symbiotic relationship The St. Louis International Film Festival has been a catalyst lately for discussing the intersections o ... More >>
A well placed, well delivered "yeah" can mean so much more than just a lazy "yes." Here are the six best YEAAAHs in rock and roll. Let us know your favorites in our comments, yeah? See also: -Six Most Overused Rhymes -The Six Best Effect-Enhanced Guitar Solos -Nitpick Six Archives
The man in the chicken hat is hoping things get weird inside. He smokes a cigarette, flicks it to the ground, then changes his mind and smokes the rest of it while standing in front of the Tivoli Theatre in Delmar. He's already holding a ticket, but at the advertised 7 p.m. show time, nearly 100 hop ... More >>
Shut Up and Play the Hits Directed by Dylan Southern and Will Lovelace Oscilloscope Pictures July 18 at the Tivoli By Karina Longworth "When we started the band, suddenly we were, like, New York famous. We could get into anyplace, but you know--I was never recognized on a plane." James Murphy, fo ... More >>
I'm going to level with you, folks: It get difficult coming up with these introductory paragraphs week after week for these show posts, but luckily I just got a "word of the day" calendar to help keep it creative. See if you can guess what today's word is. Now, without further cunctation, here's thi ... More >>
"American Pie" is eight and a half minutes, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is seventeen. It is not uncommon for a prog track to reach twenty minutes, but it takes a certain breed to break the half-hour barrier. Below is a list of the six best songs over thirty minutes long. Feel free to interject your favorit ... More >>
The last few days, Village Voice Media's indefatigable music staff has been regaling you with stories of the best from SXSW 2012. In the midst of these discoveries, we've been culling another list: the worst shit. The acts that ranged from huge bore-fests to downright lame. Below, you'll find our cr ... More >>
Back in November of 2011, and unknown band (at least around these parts) from Minneapolis, Polica (pronounced Poe-Lisa), quietly put on a gripping performance at the Old Rock House -- even if there were fewer than a dozen people there to witness it. Since that time, Polica has played sold out shows ... More >>
9 p.m. Tuesday, February 7. Off Broadway, 3509 Lemp Avenue.
Wikimedia CommonsLast week, William Shatner unveiled the tracklist to his third studio album, Searching For Major Tom. Regardless of how you feel about the actor or his musical career, it's imperative you look at it right now. The album comprises nineteen covers of mostly space-themed songs l ... More >>
(New albums are typically released on Tuesdays, i.e., today. What can you spend your hard-earned pennies on this week? Find out below.) Acid House Kings' Music Sounds Better With You*Acid House Kings, Music Sounds Better With You TheLineofBestFit reviewed Music Sounds Better With You: "This ... More >>
9 p.m. Wednesday, March 16. The Firebird, 2706 Olive Street.
Last week LouFest announced the dates of its second festival and immediately started selling discounted two-day passes to brave souls willing to buy without knowing the line-up in advance. No word on when an official announcement will be made about who'll be playing. But in the meantime, it's fun ... More >>
Derek Miller and Aleix Krauss of Sleigh Bells. The duo plays tonight at the Firebird, but if you don't have tickets, don't bother; the show has been sold out for weeks. What's it like being one of the most buzzed bands in recent memory? 2010 has been a watershed year for Sleigh Bells, the p ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Robert Randolph and the Family Band will play the Pageant Friday, July 16Vintage Vinyl 1. Big Boi -- Sir Lucious Left Foot. The Son Of Chico Dusty 2. Roots -- How I Got Over 3. Eminem -- Recovery 4. Drake -- Thank Me Later 5. Black Keys -- Brothers 6. Ratatat -- ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local act Gaslight Anthem's American SlangVintage Vinyl 1. Drake---Thank Me Later 2. Nas & Damian Marley---Distant Relatives 3. Black Keys---Brothers 4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers---Mojo* 5. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals---Grace Potter & The Nocturnals 6. Gaslight A ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local act Sleigh Bells' TreatsEuclid Records 1. Black Keys - Brothers 2. Sleigh Bells - Treats 3. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms 4. Ratatat - LP4 5. Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer Of The Void* 6. Flaming Lips - Dark Side of the Moon 7. LCD Sou ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. Black Keys - Brothers* 2. Jack Johnson - To The Sea 3. National - High Violet* 4. Jayhawks - Bunkhouse Album 5. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms 6. Bettye LaVette - Interpretations:British Rock Songbook 7. Roky Erick ... More >>
8:30 p.m. Monday, June 7. The Firebird, 2706 Olive Street.
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. Black Keys - Brothers* 2. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms 3. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street 4. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 5. Dead Weather - Sea Of Cowards 6. White Stripes - Under Great White Norther ... More >>
* = a band coming to town, = a local artistEuclid Records 1. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street 2. Black Keys - Brothers* 3. Jayhawks - The Bunkhouse Album 4. Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms 5. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Coachella announced its 2010 lineup this morning -- and heads all over the country exploded because of the lineup. The list of bands/performers includes (but isn't limited to) Thom Yorke, Jay-Z, Pavement, Faith No More, Public Image Limited, Echo & the Bunnymen, Them Crooked Vultures, the Specials, ... More >>
Nicholas PhillipsFoam's front roomAs my stalwart colleague Nick Phillips noted a few weeks ago, Foam -- the long-awaited coffeeshop/bar on the corner of Cherokee and Jefferson -- is now open for business. I dropped by on Saturday night and was really impressed by the vibe and atmosphere at th ... More >>
9 p.m. Friday, September 18. The Billiken Club, in the Busch Student Center on the campus of Saint Louis University, 20 North Grand Boulevard.
Artist: Robert Brookins Album: Come To Me From: Vintage Vinyl Year: 1987 Label: MCA Records What it sounds like: DeBarge crossed with Bobby Brown doing a Prince imitation. Cheesy '80's R&B at its glorious worst.
9 p.m. Sunday, July 13. The Bluebird, 2706 Olive Street
9 p.m. Friday, May 9. Bluebird, 2706 Olive Street
We find out what rocked across the country in 2007.
Week of May 24, 2007
7 p.m. Thursday, May 10. Pop's (1403 Mississippi Avenue, Sauget, Illinois).
What will the beloved bands of '05 look like when the buzz wears off?
LCD Soundsystem (DFA/Capitol)
Could '02' mean "Oh, too many records?"