This week we've got a mix of punk and funk with legendary metal (King Diamond) for good measure. Local post-hardcore players Anodes will kick off their tour on Saturday along with busybodies Blight Future and Heavy Horse. The weather's nice, so get out there before the next polar vortex (or maybe no ... More >>
Here again is every newly announced show for the week! On page one you'll find a quick list of shows that particularly caught our attention, followed by embedded YouTube videos of artists you may not be familiar with. Page two contains our complete listing of new shows, so you can do some digging of ... More >>
This week Hands and Feet releases an album, and plenty of touring artists make way through the Lou. Check out the Black Lips at the Ready Room, Die Antwoord at the Pageant, Lee Fields & the Expressions at 2720 Cherokee and much more. Read on for this week's picks from our critics.
I'll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the March Up Freedom's Highway is both a music biography and a lively slice of American history. Pops Staples, the group's patriarch, grew up in turn-of-the-20th-century Mississippi, with a grandfather who had been a slave and a father who ... More >>
Wow -- where to begin? Here, we wrote a quick guide for you. Step one: Eat some barbecue. Step two: See a show or two. Step three: Repeat. This extended weekend's offerings are slightly overwhelming. In addition to these ten picks, plenty of other events covered in the past week present themselves a ... More >>
Here again: every newly announced show for the week! On page one you'll find a quick list of shows that particularly caught our attention, followed by embedded YouTube videos; there, you can check out some of the artists featured. Page two contains our complete listing of new shows, so you can do so ... More >>
Cardinal fans and Cub fans. Democrats and Republicans. Those who keep up with the Kardashians and those who should be allowed to vote. Country music fans and country music haters. While no end is in sight to the strife between the first three aforementioned warring factions, there may be hope for t ... More >>
8 p.m. Friday, August 3. Old Rock House, 1200 South Seventh Street.
Time constraints occasionally preclude us from being able to preview every single great show in town. There's only so many hours in the week, and we have to keep the trains running on time in addition to writing up these recommendational blurbs. That said, a couple of shows early this week warrant y ... More >>
Bonnie Raitt | Marc Cohn May 18, 2012 The Pageant They'd come in from Kansas City, Columbia, Minneapolis, Chicago, Louisville and West County -- and places further, I'm sure. The general admission ticket holders lined up outside the Halo Bar four hours or more before the doors would open, tailgatin ... More >>
The Essence Music Festival is the premiere mainstream R&B festival -- but its ambitious scope encompasses a whole lot more. The main events are evening concerts with more than 40 household-name acts in R&B, urban contemporary, soul, hip hop and jazz, including mainstage shows stacked with hea ... More >>
For the second year in a row, Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three will be playing the prestigious Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island. Pokey and co. will be performing on Saturday, July 30, the same day that the Decemberists headline. (Other acts performing that day include Gillian Welch, Gogol ... More >>
We here in St. Louis are lucky to get spillover from a few of the summer festivals. The first of these, Bonnaroo, just announced its 2011 lineup -- and there are some tantalizing wishlist potentials in the list. The biggies are Eminem, Arcade Fire, Widespread Panic, The Black Keys, Buffalo Sp ... More >>
Miss the Grammys telecast? Couldn't care less about the awards? Either way, A to Z watched the entire show - and even some of the pre-show -- so you didn't have to. Here are ten highlights from the night. Mavis Staples winning her first Grammy If you weren't watching the pre-show telecast, y ... More >>
* = local, = coming to town Vintage Vinyl 1. T.I.---No Mercy 2. KANYE WEST---My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 3. CHARLIE WILSON---Just Charlie 4. ERIC BENET---Lost In Time* 5. QUINCY JONES---Q: Soul Bossa Nostra 6. NICKI MINAJ---Pink Friday 7. TEMPTATIONS---Give Love At Christmas 8. ANGEL ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Euclid Records 1. Shelby Lynne - - Merry Christmas 2. Various Artists - - A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector 3. Mavis Staples - - You Are Not Alone 4. Doors - - Live in Vancouver 1970 5. Norah Jones - - Featuring Norah Jones
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. LIL WAYNE---I Am Not A Human Being 2. TREY SONGZ---Passion, Pain & Pleasure 3. WAKA FLOCKA FLAME---Flockavelli 4. BLACK ANGELS---Phosphene Dream 5. CHUCK BERRY---Definitive Collection
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. LIL WAYNE---I Am Not A Human Being 2. ELTON JOHN & LEON RUSSELL---Union 3. SUFJAN STEVENS---Age Of Adz 4. BELLE & SEBASTIAN---Write About Love 5. KINGS OF LEON---Come Around Sundown 6. JOHN LEGEND & THE ROOTS---Wake Up! 7. AVETT BROTHERS---Vol. 3 ... More >>
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. ICE CUBE---I Am The West 2. GUCCI MANE---The Appeal: Georgia's Most Wanted 3. TREY SONGZ---Passion, Pain & Pleasure 4. BAD RELIGION---Dissent Of Man 5. JOHN LEGEND & THE ROOTS---Wake Up!
* = coming to town, = local Vintage Vinyl 1. ROBERT PLANT---Band Of Joy 2. WEEZER---Hurley 3. ALOHA MI'SHO---Badd 4. GRINDERMAN---Grinderman 2 5. LINKIN PARK---Thousand Suns 6. LUDO---Prepare The Preparations* 7. JJ GREY & MOFRO---Georgia Warhorse* 8. ARCADE FIRE---Suburbs 9. WALKMEN---Li ... More >>
B-Sides finds its religion with Fred Eaglesmith and traces Charles Walker's circuitous path from R&B obscurity to funk-soul innovator.
We find out what rocked across the country in 2007.
Aimee Mann knocks out another pop jewel
Wednesday, March 23; Off Broadway, 3509 Lemp Avenue
Grab a slice of 2004s best roots music while its still hot.
If you weren't at this landmark blues concert, Lightning in a Bottle will do
Saturday, September 4, and Sunday, September 5; Laclede's Landing
Touch My Heart: A Tribute to Johnny Paycheck (Sugar Hill Records)
Saturday, August 7; Gateway Arch Stage on the St. Louis Riverfront