1 of 44
The cover of the August 14, 2014, edition of the Riverfront Times.
On Saturday, August 9, 2014, eighteen-year-old Michael Brown was walking with a friend on the 2900 block of Canfield Drive in Ferguson, Missouri, when the two came across a Ferguson police officer. What happened next is unclear, but after a series of gunshots, Michael Brown was lying face down in the street in a pool of blood. He was dead, shot repeatedly by officer Darren Wilson, a six-year veteran. Brown was unarmed, and many witnesses say he had his hands raised in the air at the time he was shot.
In the days following the shooting, there have been outpourings of support, sorrow, and anger from celebrities and community members alike. Many have taken to the streets of Ferguson to protest. What began as a peaceful demonstration turned increasingly violent, and the protests turned into riots. Now two others have been shot in separate incidents, and the tension surrounding Brown's death continues to permeate St. Louis and the country.
The photographs above were taken by Riverfront Times photographers and writers as well as by contributors. A number of different cameras and cell phones were used.
- Our full coverage of Michael Brown's death and Ferguson's unrest here.
- Slideshow: Hundreds Gather in NYC to Protest Michael Brown's Death
- Slideshow: Michael Brown Protest in Downtown Miami
- Slideshow: Ferguson Protestors Rally in Denver
- Slideshow: Several Arrested in NYC During March Against Police Brutality
- Why the Outrage After Michael Brown's Death Was Different From the Outrage After Eric Garner's Death
Published on August 14, 2014