The Morning Brew: Wednesday, 12/12

click to enlarge www.amberjack.com
www.amberjack.com

www.amberjack.com

Diners at two St. Louis restaurants -- Blue Water Grill and Frazer's Restaurant and Lounge -- have fallen ill after eating amberjack. The disease is likely ciguatera. Both restaurants purchased the fish from Bob's Seafood, which purchased it from a Louisiana facility. (Post-Dispatch)

For more on ciguatera, click here. The basics, from the FDA:

Ciguatera is a form of human poisoning caused by the consumption of subtropical and tropical marine finfish which have accumulated naturally occurring toxins through their diet. The toxins are known to originate from several dinoflagellate (algae) species that are common to ciguatera endemic regions in the lower latitudes.

A movement to ensure healthy, organic food at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. (BBC News)

-Ian Froeb

About The Author

Scroll to read more Food & Drink News articles (1)
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state.
Help us keep this coverage going with a one-time donation or an ongoing membership pledge.

Newsletters

Join Riverfront Times Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.