The Worst Restaurant Story You'll Read Today, Possibly All Year [Updated]

Everyone has a favorite "terrible restaurant experience" story to share. Thanks to social media, there are more forums in which to share that story than ever before.

However, the next time that you're preparing to sharpen your knives and post about crappy food or slow service on Yelp, Twitter or wherever, remember this story about a truly horrific restaurant accident from today's St. Petersburg Times. It should help keep things in perspective:

A family preparing to enjoy a dessert of bananas Foster was burned, one of them severely, when the flaming dish splashed on them Saturday night at a restaurant.

Two of them were rushed by helicopter to the hospital. The most badly wounded, a 25-year-old woman, suffered first- and second-degree burns when her dress caught fire.
(h/t: Eater)

Update: (Thursday, June 16, 7:53 a.m.) The St. Petersburg Times has more information about the incident in its latest report. It doesn't look good for the restaurant involved. According to the article, restaurant employees "cleaned up all evidence of the accident before fire investigators arrived."

Also, witnesses tell the paper that the waiter poured 151-proof rum directly from the bottle into the dish, an absolute no-no.

Scroll to read more Food & Drink News articles (1)


Join Riverfront Times Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.