Armed Teens Steal Pants, Phones, Wallets; Get Tased By Cops, Bitten by K9 Unit: Police

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:35 am
click to enlarge Devonte Addison, 19. - Photos courtesy of SLMPD
Photos courtesy of SLMPD
Devonte Addison, 19.

St. Louis Metropolitan Police arrested four young men suspected of robbing victims of their pants, phones and wallets after police chased them by car and on foot early Wednesday morning.

A sixteen-year-old suspect was tased by police during the foot chase, and a twenty-year-old suspect was unintentionally struck by a police vehicle and bitten by a K-9 unit before police detained him, according to police reports. They were treated at a hospital for minor injuries before joining two other suspects, both nineteen-years-old, in jail.

The Circuit Attorney's Office filed charges against the three adult suspects Wednesday: Devonte Addison, nineteen-years-old, of the 4500 block of Lexington Avenue; Romel Tanter, nineteen-years-old, of the 4200 block of Clarence Avenue; and Terrell Tanter, twenty-years-old, also of the 4200 block of Clarence Avenue.

click to enlarge Terrell Tanter, 20.
Terrell Tanter, 20.

All three are charged with three counts of first-degree robbery, three counts of armed criminal action, one count of unlawful use of a weapon/exhibiting a weapon and one count of resisting or interfering with an arrest.

See also: Four Teens Charged After South City Shooting, Robbery Spree Puts Victim in Hospital

Here's how the whole thing went down:

Two men, ages 24 and 26, told police they were standing on the corner of Humphrey Street and Roger Place in the Tower Grove South neighborhood at approximately 11:53 p.m. Tuesday when the suspects approached them, pulled out their guns and robbed them of their pants, phones, wallets and personal property before fleeing.

A little while later, around 12:20 a.m., the suspects approached a 33-year-old man in the 3600 block of Keokuk Street, less than two miles away, and robbed him of his cell phone at gunpoint, according to police reports.

click to enlarge Romel Tanter, 19.
Romel Tanter, 19.

After the robberies were reported to police, officers spotted a car matching the suspects' vehicle description -- a four-door, maroon Pontiac Grand Prix -- and tried to pull it over.

When the car wouldn't pull over, police chased the suspects to North Broadway and Montgomery Street, where police used spike strips to stop the car. The suspects fled on foot, but police caught up and arrested them.

Police recovered some of the stolen property and multiple guns from the car.

Here is the full report from police:

Incident: Robbery 1st, A.C.A., U.U.W., Felony Fleeing and Resisting

Location: Humphrey & Roger/3600 block of Keokuk/N. Broadway & Montgomery

Date/Time: 9/16/14 @ 23:53 - 9/17/14 @ 00:26

Victim #1: 26-year old black male

Victim #2: 24-year old black male

Victim #3: 33-year old black male

Suspect #1: 16-year old black male

Suspect #2: 20-year old black male

Suspect #3: 19-year old black male

Suspect #4: 19-year old black male

Victim #1 and Victim #2 stated they were standing on the corner of Humphrey & Roger on 9/16/14 at around 23:53 when the suspects approached them, displayed guns and robbed both victims of their pants, phones, wallets and other personal property. The suspects then fled from the scene. At around 00:20, the suspects approached Victim #3 in the 3600 block of Keokuk, produced guns and demanded Victim #3's property. The victim complied and the suspects fled the area with Victim #3's cell phone. Officers responded and broadcast a description of the suspects' vehicle, a maroon 4-door Pontiac Grand Prix. When officers located a vehicle matching this description, they activated their lights and sirens and attempted to pull it over. The suspects refused to pull over, leading officers to pursue the fleeing vehicle. As the suspect vehicle continued into the area of Broadway and Montgomery, spike strips were deployed, causing the suspect vehicle to stop. All four suspects fled on foot from the vehicle, but were apprehended after brief foot pursuits. While resisting arrest, Suspect #1 was tased by an officer, and was conveyed to an area hospital for evaluation and released to police. During the incident, Suspect #2 was unintentionally struck by a police vehicle and subsequently bit by a police K-9 during the foot pursuit. Suspect #2 was conveyed to a hospital to be treated for minor injuries and released to police. Suspects #3 and #4 were taken into custody at the scene. Some of the victims' property was recovered from the suspect vehicle, as well as the guns used during the incidents. No other injuries were reported. The investigation is ongoing.

Follow Lindsay Toler on Twitter at @StLouisLindsay. E-mail the author at [email protected].