Ferguson Arrests: Everyone St. Louis County Police Locked Up During 12 Days of Crisis

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:00 am
click to enlarge Three arrested in Ferguson on August 13. - Danny Wicentowski
Danny Wicentowski
Three arrested in Ferguson on August 13.

As the chaos in Ferguson dies down (at least, for now,) St. Louis County police released the names and charges for all 204 people it arrested during the standoff.

Daily RFT sorted the arrests into a timeline with added links for clarity, but you can read through all the St. Louis County police arrests, names and charge here: St. Louis County Ferguson Arrests

Only nine of the people arrested are from Ferguson.

Here are the 204 people St. Louis County police arrested from August 10 through 21:

August 10-11 - What started as a peaceful candlelight vigil in Michael Brown's honor suddenly turned into a full-blown riot as Sunday night turned into Monday morning. At 11:30 p.m. on August 10, police arrested five people at the Kmart store at 2855 Dunn Road, immediately north of I-270. Three were arrested for burglary and stealing, one for destruction of property, and one for trespassing; they were all from the St. Louis city or north county, not Ferguson. The looting continued, taking over Feel Beauty Supply, JC Wireless, a T-Mobile and other stores while rioters taunted police by standing on cars and blasting Lil' Boosie's "Fuck Da Police." Eventually, after stealing food and alcohol from the QuikTrip, looters burned the place down. Twelve more people were arrested before the violence subsided around 3 a.m. August 11. Mostly from St. Louis city or Jennings, they were arrested for burglary, stealing and disorderly conduct. One was arrested for being a fugitive.

Before Monday ended, four more people went into custody, two for being fugitives and two for stealing.

See RFT coverage: -Peaceful Protest for Mike Brown Before Riot Police and Looting Takes Over -Ferguson Riots: North County Business Owners (Some Armed) Survey the Damage

August 12 - Tear gas filled the streets as Ferguson turned into a war zone in the early hours of Tuesday. Between midnight and 2 a.m., eight people, mostly from Florissant, were arrested by police for trespassing, having stolen property, having a warrant or being a fugitive. Eight more burglary arrests were made that morning, including the first arrest of an out-of-towner, a man from Valdosta, Georgia.

See RFT coverage: -Police in Ferguson Fire Tear Gas on Protesters Standing in Their Own Backyard -Police to Ferguson Bystanders: "You Are in the Middle of a War Zone"

August 13 - It's not until now that we see police employ the nebulous "failure to disperse" charge officers would come to use frequently in order to clear Ferguson crowds. Police arrested four people at 1 a.m. on Chambers Road for refusing to disperse.

One of those detained was the first Ferguson resident to be arrested by St. County police.

See RFT coverage of what happened early Wednesday morning: -Two Shot in Separate Incidents During Another Tense Night in Ferguson -Police Accused of Unnecessary Force as Third Night of Ferguson Protests End with Tear Gas

August 14 - As police hurled tear gas and stun grenades at protesters in the early hours of Thursday morning, three people were arrested, including a juvenile from Chicago arrested for second-degree burglary. Two St. Louis adults were arrested, one for a warrant and one for second-degree burglary.

But it wasn't just protesters getting arrested that night. Police also detained two journalists from the Washington Post and the Huffington Post.

Read RFT coverage of that night: -Tear Gas and Terror During Ferguson Protest -Watch Police in Ferguson Arrest, Tear Gas Journalists [VIDEO]

Later that day Governor Nixon declared that the Missouri Highway State Patrol would take over security operations in Ferguson from the St. Louis County police.

August 15 - Late Thursday night and early Friday morning brought the first night of peace to Ferguson, allowing peaceful protesters to demonstrate freely (and creatively) without the sting of tear gas. St. Louis County police record no arrests this day.

click to enlarge "Hooves up, don't shoot!" - Ray Downs
Ray Downs
"Hooves up, don't shoot!"

Read RFT coverage of that night: -Mike Brown's Family Observes Last Night's Peaceful March: "He's a Legend" -Honoring Michael Brown: Why One Man Marched in Ferguson on Horseback -Police Ease Up On Ferguson Protesters, But Reasons for Protest Not Forgotten

Peace didn't last long. The Ferguson police chief's decision to release video evidence of Michael Brown robbing a store before he was killed by Officer Darren Wilson threatens to whip the people of Ferguson into another frenzy.

August 16 - Saturday morning began with post-midnight tear gas. Rioters broke into Ferguson Market and Liquor (where Brown allegedly stole cigars before he was shot by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson), Feel Beauty Supply, a meat market and an electronics store. Peaceful demonstrators were quick to guard businesses themselves, putting their bodies between the smashed storefronts and looters with covered faces.

See RFT coverage: Ferguson Protesters Protect Stores from Looters, Riots As Police Hold Back

Police arrested two men, one from Ferguson, at 4 a.m. for receiving stolen property at West Florissant and Kappel Drive.

Governor Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew for Saturday night in Ferguson.

That evening three juveniles are arrested at 7365 West Florissant and charged with destruction of property.

August 17 - The curfew for Ferguson officially began at midnight on Sunday, August 17, and ran until 5 a.m. In that time, six people, including two Ferguson residents, are arrested for failure to disperse. A St. Louis woman was arrested for failure to disperse about half an hour after curfew lifted.

The Riverfront Times kept a live blog of updates through Ferguson's first night on curfew. Read it here: LIVE: Ferguson Protesters Break Curfew, Face Off With Police.

See more from RFT: Ferguson Protesters Defy State of Emergency Curfew and Fight Tear Gas

Church leaders, police officials and community members built momentum Sunday against the violence, swearing to end the terror gripping their neighborhoods. But it wasn't enough. Beginning with shots fired around 8:25 p.m., the worst violence since the day after Brown died ripped through town. Police arrested twenty people, including a protesters from New York and California, for failure to disperse late Sunday night and early Monday morning.

See RFT coverage: -Nixon Calls National Guard to Ferguson, Cites "Deliberate, Coordinated" Attacks on Police -Cops in Ferguson Detain Journalists, Threaten to Shoot Cameraman, Mace Reporter

August 18 - The violence seemed to take the day off, and the hours between 3 a.m. and 1 p.m. were without arrest. That changed Monday afternoon, and from 1 p.m. to 11:59 p.m., St. Louis County police arrested 21 people, 19 for failure to disperse. Those arrested came from across the country, including Brooklyn, New York; Chicago, Illinois; Potomac, Maryland; Washington, D.C; Austin, Texas; San Diego, California; Arlington, Virginia; and Huntsville, Alabama.

One person arrested for failure to disperse was from Ferguson.

Governor Nixon decided the escalating violence was cause enough to bring in the National Guard and lift the curfew held over Ferguson for two nights.

Here's the Riverfront Times live blog of Monday night in Ferguson: Live Blog: 31 Arrested, 2 Shot, Police Under Attack in Ferguson.

click to enlarge Demonstrators are arrested in front of the Ferguson McDonald's. - Danny Wicentowski
Danny Wicentowski
Demonstrators are arrested in front of the Ferguson McDonald's.

August 19 - Starting at the first minute past midnight Tuesday through the last minute before midnight Wednesday, 62 people were arrested by police. All but sixteen of those arrests were for failure to disperse. Those arrested came from Pasadena, California; Austin, Texas; Des Moines, Iowa; and New York as well as Missouri. Four arrested for refusal to disperse were from Ferguson.

See more from RFT: -After Forcing Ferguson Protesters to March in Confined Protest Area, Tear Gas Again -Amnesty International: "A Human-Rights Crisis" in Ferguson

August 20-21 - The protests early Wednesday morning were some of the most peaceful demonstrations since August 10, and police didn't deploy tear gas. But a late-night attempt to clear the streets led to dozens of arrests.

In the first hour past midnight on Wednesday, police arrested 25 people, including one juvenile from Centerville, Illinois, for failure to disperse. Those arrested came from Westport, Connecticut; Cincinnati, Ohio; Chicago, Illinois; Bronx, New York as well as St. Louis city and north county. A St. Louis man was arrested for assault on a law-enforcement officer with a weapon.

See more from Riverfront Times: Many Arrests in Ferguson as Another Police Shooting Sparks New Outrage in STL

While the protests continued Wednesday night, arrests slowed down. Between Wednesday night at 4 p.m. and Thursday morning at 12:30 a.m., seven people, all from Missouri, were arrested. Four were charged with failure to disperse, one for being a fugitive, one for careless driving, and one for drug possession, larceny and being a fugitive.

Follow Lindsay Toler on Twitter at @StLouisLindsay. E-mail the author at [email protected].