Kevin Slaten Did Not Take Show Cancellation Well; Gets Charged with Assault

Share on Nextdoor
Slaten lives to explode another day. - Rick Sealock
Rick Sealock
Slaten lives to explode another day.

We should have known this didn't go down quietly.

A spokesman for the Webster Groves police department confirms that on November 12, they were called to the studios of KFNS AM-590 where they found longtime sports jockey Kevin Slaten in, shall we say, a bit of a state.

"They'd just terminated his show," explains Lieutenant Andy Miller.

This is not Slaten's first forcible exit from KFNS airwaves -- read the saga of the first one here, which also explains why police getting called to his second ouster is no surprise. (If that's not enough, would you like to hear him call the author of that piece a "liar, reptile of a writer"?)

This time, Slaten's show was cancelled over some racial remarks he made just after the election. He called black voters "bigoted" because they overwhelmingly voted for Barack Obama.

"I think that black voters ought to be ashamed of themselves for voting that way because of race," he said.

The hammer fell on him hard. Slaten wasn't technically an employee of the station, just an independent contractor, so he was told on November 12th that his show had been cancelled.

That's when things got ugly between Slaten and the director of technical operations, Scott Stout. Allegedly, Slaten started cursing Stout out, threatening him, and spit on him (the formal report isn't ready yet, but the Post-Dispatch's Joe Holleman broke the story through a confirmation from Miller).

Cops were called to calm things down. Slaten wasn't arrested that day, but was charged with assault and turned himself into police earlier this week. He's been released and is expected in court in January.

Could a year cooling his heels in jail calm mighty Slaten down?

Scroll to read more St. Louis Metro News articles (1)


Join Riverfront Times Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.