Kim Dwayne Cobb Jr: Charged in Shooting Two St. Louis Cops During Traffic Stop

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:31 am
Updated 10:40 a.m. with name of suspect
Updated 10:15 a.m. with specifics concerning traffic stop

St. Louis police report that a 25-year-old officer remains in critical condition today after being shot during a traffic stop around 10:12 p.m. yesterday.

The incident occurred at the corner of Enright and Bayard when the 25-year-old officer and his 27-year-old partner observed a vehicle containing a female driver and male passenger driving without its headlights. During the stop, the officers asked the male suspect, 20-year-old Kim Dwayne Cobb, Jr. of the 4700 block of Lewis Place, to step out of the vehicle.
According to police (who've yet to release the names of the officers), the 25-year-old officer was "patting down" Cobb when he drew a handgun from his waistband and began firing.
The 25-year-old officer was shot point blank in the neck and and arm and collapsed to the ground. A third bullet-wound -- in the officer's back -- is believed to be an exit wound.

Police report that Cobb then began running, shooting as he fled at the 27-year-old cop and grazing him in the thigh. That officer was able to return fire, shooting the suspect in the back with the bullet exiting through the chest. Despite his injury, Cobb was able to flee the scene and was later found hiding in a vehicle four blocks from the shooting at McMillan and Marcus avenues.

The 25-year-old underwent surgery overnight at Barnes Hospital repair an artery in his neck and a second surgery to his arm. According to police, doctors say the surgery to the neck went well. The 27-year-old officer was treated and released. Both officers are two-year veterans of the department.

Cobb, meanwhile, underwent surgery last night at a separate hospital. No word on his condition. This morning he was charged with two counts of first-degree assault of law enforcement and two counts of armed-criminal action. The female driver of the car in which Cobb was a passenger has not been charged with any crimes.

According to police the suspect fired at least eight shots; the officer fired at least 11 rounds.