St. Louis Rams Reject CVC Dome Proposal

click to enlarge A single row of windows was part of the CVC's rejected proposal.
A single row of windows was part of the CVC's rejected proposal.
The St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission just reported that the St. Louis Rams have officially notified the CVC that the team rejects the initial upgrade proposal for the Edward Jones Dome.

You may recall that the proposal recommended (maybe "requested" is a better word, considering how weak St. Louis' bargaining position is) that the city and the Rams share the $124 million cost of the plan that would bring the Ed into the first tier of stadia in the NFL. (Details and images of the proposal available here.) The Rams were to shoulder 52 percent of that cost, and the public would pay the other 48 percent -- about $60 million. That's on top of the $12 million already paid annually by both St. Louis County and St. Louis City towards the costs of initially building the Edward Jones Dome. The Rams pay $500,000 annually for use of the stadium ($250,000 in rent, $250,000 to the CVC to cover game-day expenses).

With a sweetheart deal like this, is it any wonder the Rams rejected the offer to go dutch on the refurbishment?

So what happens next? The Rams will submit their own proposal on how to improve the Ed Jones Dome on or before May 1, 2012, which the CVC "looks forward to receiving." The CVC has until June 1 to reject or accept this counterproposal; if it's rejected, both sides go to arbitration on June 15.
Scroll to read more St. Louis Metro News articles (1)


Join Riverfront Times Newsletters

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.