Yes, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen took care of business this week in less time than it takes the average American couple to have sex.
Still, it was long enough for the aldermen to wish a mother-in-law a happy birthday, shout out the festivals happening this weekend in St. Louis and offer a nod of appreciation to the RFT's own Best of St. Louis issue.
A quick rundown for a quick meeting:
- Vollmer wanted his fellow board members to remember that La Festa takes place this weekend on The Hill.
- Lewis Reed gave a shout-out to Antonio French for taking home the Best Local Politician award in this week's Best of St. Louis issue.
- French mentioned that tomorrow at 10 a.m. there will be a meeting at Beaumont High School to discuss the future of Fairground Park.
- Alderman Jeffrey Boyd stepped to the microphone and wished his mother-in-law a happy birthday, drawing a round of laughter from his peers.
- Donna Baringer brought her teenage son along (he had the day off school for some reason) and mentioned an Irish Festival supposedly taking place this weekend. Here's guessing she was actually talking about the St. Louis Scottish Games and Cultural Festival.
- Stephen Conway of the eighth ward announced that all the aldermen would receive two free tickets to the Shaw Neighborhood Arts Fair and thanked Riverfront Times for naming his Shaw neighborhood as the Best Place to Live. (You're welcome.)
The only legislative business occurred when Alderman Freeman Bosley Sr. struck a board bill from the agenda that would prohibit package liquor in the third ward. Click here to see a list of the other board bills (#'s 164-169) that were introduced but not discussed.