Support Local Journalism. Join Riverfront Times Press Club.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Shots Ring Out on Cherokee: Part I

Posted By on Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Editor's note: the author happened to be present when this incident occurred.

click to enlarge Ledarius D. Williams, 17 - ST. LOUIS METROPOLITAN POLICE DEPARTMENT
  • St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department
  • Ledarius D. Williams, 17
The two shots cracked open the Sunday air just after 12:30 p.m.

Within seconds, squad cars were funnelling in, 17-year-old Ledarius D. Williams lay face-down on the pavement, and the blue-shirted police officers who'd just wounded him were joined by others, all swarming the northeast corner of Cherokee Street and Texas Avenue.

Ah yes, from the same intersection that brought you both a garden-related political controversy and the federal indictment of a shopkeeper just last month, yet another Cherokee Street drama played out over Memorial Day weekend: the downfall of a youth who - as one officer put it to a resident - was already a career criminal.

  • Photo by Nicholas Phillips
A few minutes before the shooting, police say, a pair of officers had pulled over a car a few blocks south at Potomac and Texas for a traffic violation. When the car slowed to a stop, Williams and another young man swung out and sprinted away.

The cops immediately saw that Williams had a gun, and "recognized him from prior encounters with law enforcement."

Moments later, a couple of responding officers spied Williams - who had a white bandage covering one eye - standing at Cherokee and Texas gripping his 9mm semiautomatic. Police say they approached and ordered him to drop the weapon. Williams tried to pass it off to someone walking up the sidewalk, but the pedestrian wouldn't take it.

So, according to the report, the cops again told Williams to drop his gun. Instead, he walked into the middle of the street, his back to the officers, gun at his side.

Then, suddenly, he swiveled around and aimed at them.

  • Photo by Nicholas Phillips
Both officers fired, and one hit Williams in the knee. He fell down, and chucked his gun into the sewer.

He was taken by ambulance to a hospital, treated, and taken into custody. He's now being held on a $50,000 bond and is facing two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of armed criminal action. But that's not the end of the story.....(see part 2 later today).

click to enlarge A homicide detective about to step over the "Caution" tape. - PHOTO BY NICHOLAS PHILLIPS
  • Photo by Nicholas Phillips
  • A homicide detective about to step over the "Caution" tape.


Tags: ,

Support Local Journalism.
Join the Riverfront Times Press Club

Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.

Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.

Join the Riverfront Times Club for as little as $5 a month.

Read the Digital Print Issue

January 26, 2022

View more issues


Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In St. Louis

© 2022 Riverfront Times

Website powered by Foundation