Support Local Journalism. Donate to Riverfront Times.

Monday, February 9, 2015

Shawn Gray: Death of Man Found in River Des Peres Remains a Mystery

Posted By on Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Shawn Gray went missing on Thanksgiving and was found dead about a week later in River Des Peres. His family and friends are still looking for answers about what happened. - FACEBOOK
  • Facebook
  • Shawn Gray went missing on Thanksgiving and was found dead about a week later in River Des Peres. His family and friends are still looking for answers about what happened.

It's been more than two months since a woman out walking on December 4 discovered the body of Shawn Gray. The 23-year-old musician, trick skateboarder and dishwasher at Cardwell's in Clayton, had been missing for a week. How this young man, who family and friends say was so full of life, turned up dead in a dry section of the River Des Peres remains an enigma. Nearly as puzzling is the gossip that circulated online in early December that Gray was somehow tied to the grand jury investigation of Darren Wilson, the Ferguson officer who shot Michael Brown.

Gray's mother, Shanon Battile, 45, says the rumors that her son was killed in retaliation for testifying before the grand jury have been both upsetting and confusing. "I was baffled. What would that even come from? Where would they get that from?" she asks. "He didn't even know Mike Brown."

Tim Banta, 23, a close friend, tells Daily RFT that anyone who knew Gray would know that the Mike Brown case and protests associated with it were "the last thing Shawn gave a fuck about." See also: Anguish, Arson and Tear Gas in Ferguson after Grand Jury Decision

Gray was last seen alive on Thanksgiving -- some three days after the grand jury reached its controversial decision that led to days of regional unrest. The night of his disappearance, Gray had worked a shift at Cardwell's and later stuck around till about 11 p.m. having a couple drinks with a coworker.

Around midnight, Clayton police pulled over Gray in his silver 1997 Acura Integra on Maryland Avenue near Interstate 170. Clayton police chief Kevin Murphy could not provide Daily RFT with a reason why Gray was pulled over, but no arrest was made, and a St. Louis County Cab was called to take Gray to where he was heading. (St. Louis County Cab was unable to immediately confirm to Daily RFT that one of its taxis was called that night and where it may have taken Gray.) Four days later, Gray's mother found his car where he had left it, in the parking lot outside MaggieMoo's Ice Cream and Treatery.

"You have to remember, [on November 27] we were in the thick of the aftermath of the grand-jury decision," explains Murphy, who adds that officers are allowed to exercise discretion during traffic stops, including whether to conduct field sobriety tests.

But where did Gray go to in that taxi, and how did he spend that last week?

Tags: ,

We’re keeping you informed…
...and it’s what we love to do. From local politics and culture to national news that hits close to home, Riverfront Times has been keeping St. Louis informed for years.

It’s never been more important to support local news sources. A free press means accountability and a well-informed public, and we want to keep our unique and independent reporting available for many, many years to come.

If quality journalism is important to you, please consider a donation to Riverfront Times. Every reader contribution is valuable and so appreciated, and goes directly to support our coverage of critical issues and neighborhood culture. Thank you.

Read the Digital Print Issue

April 1, 2020


Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Best Things to Do In St. Louis

© 2020 Riverfront Times

Website powered by Foundation